Rental Assistance HCS offers emergency rental and utility assistance through various programs (including the ERAP and CHAP programs) to DC residents who are homeless or in immediate danger of becoming homeless. These rental assistance programs provide emergency payments for back rent, first month’s rent, and security deposit but do not provide ongoing housing subsidies.

Rent and Utility Assistance

Due to budget constriaints, the DC Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) application portal was CLOSED on March 23, 2023. ERAP applications submitted prior to the closure are being processed. To check the status of your current ERAP application and for information about when the ERAP portal may reopen for new applications, check on-line at or call (202) 507-6666.

Assistance for Persons Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWH): HCS’ MHAP Program offers assistance with rent, mortgage, utilities, food, and other necessities in D.C, Prince George’s, Montgomery, Charles, Calvert and Frederick Counties.  Call (202) 900-9471 or email: Click Here for more information.

Assistance for Veterans: HCS’ Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Program offers Veterans who are homeless or at risk for homelessness with case management and assistance with rent, utilities, housing, and other necessities in D.C., Alexandria and Fairfax, Arlington, Prince George’s, and Montgomery Counties. Email: or call (202) 667-7366.



*HCS also offers specialized rental assistance programs for those living with HIV/AIDS. Click Here for more information.

” title=”

" title="

" title="

" title="