Housing Counseling Services’ (HCS) Flex Fund Program offers financial assistance to District of Columbia Veterans to resolve or prevent homelessness. The ultimate goal of the Flex Fund Program is to reduce the incidence of Veteran homelessness, therefore the program prioritizes assisting Veterans currently experiencing homelessness and preventing Veterans from re-entering homelessness. As funding for the Flex Fund is limited, it is designed to provide financial assistance when the financial resources needed to resolve homelessness are not available through existing programs. HCS will consider Flex Fund applications that present a strong case for financial assistance needed for rehousing or stabilizing the housing circumstances of a Veteran.
Types of assistance the Flex Fund can assist with includes security deposit, first month’s rent, rental application and holding fees, rental delinquency, mortgage delinquency, and transportation related costs. Requests for other types of financial assistance can be considered for Flex Fund assistance if the application can clearly demonstrate that the assistance will result in resolving or preventing homelessness. The maximum financial assistance available through the Flex Fund is $5,000 per household, however requests for higher levels of financial assistance may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Basic eligibility requirements for the Flex Fund Program include:
- The Veteran must have served active duty in the U.S. military.
- The Veteran must live in the District of Columbia.
- The Veteran must be homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- The requested financial assistance must be clearly connected to resolving or preventing homelessness.
APPLYING FOR THE FLEX FUND PROGRAM
Veterans may apply directly to the Flex Fund Program or case managers may apply to the Flex Fund Program on behalf of a Veteran they are serving. If you need assistance completing the Flex Fund application, please contact HCS at 202-667-7366.
A completed Flex Fund application package will consist of the following documents:
- Completed HCS Flex Fund Program Application
- Picture ID for the Veteran applicant
- Completed HMIS Release of Information (ROI) signed by the Veteran applicant
- Completed Authorization to Obtain Information Form signed by the Veteran applicant
- Documentation of need that includes third party invoice, bill or statement for the expenses for which the Veteran is applying for assistance
As Flex Fund has limited funding, not all requests for financial assistance can be approved. Please provide as much information as possible in your Flex Fund application to detail the Veteran’s housing circumstances and how the Flex Fund Program can assist them towards stabilizing their housing.
Click Here to access the HCS Flex Fund Program Application
Click Here to access the HMIS Release of Information form and Authorization to Obtain Information Form
For more information about the HCS Flex Fund Program or for assistance completing the Flex Fund application contact HCS at 202-667-7366 or email email@example.com.