The Sustainable Housing Assistance Rental Program
The Sustainable Housing Assistance Rental Program provides temporary financial support with the goal of increasing housing stability and improving health for people living with HIV/AIDS. SHARP will provide assistance to individuals with high rent burden, defined as those paying more than 40% of monthly gross income on rent. The program will provide eligible households with a flat rate subsidy equal to 40% of the current HUD Fair Market Rent (FMR) of the county of residence per month to help client pay rent. SHARP intends to reduce rent burdens, incentivize household savings, and address individual barriers to ensure future housing stability among participants.
Who is Eligible?
- Households with a member who is HIV+
- DC eligible metro area resident
- Not currently living in subsidized housing
- Current rental ledger with no outstanding balance for those who are housed
- Income must be at or below 500% of federal poverty line
- Current rent must be greater than 50% of households’ monthly gross income.
Please complete and submit the SHARP Application with all supporting documentation. Eligible applicants will be invited to meet with an HCS case manager to further evaluate appropriateness for SHARP. There are a limited number of openings and the application period will be closed once the program is filled. SHARP will not maintain a waiting list.
For more information regarding the SHARP Program, please contact Housing Counseling Services at (202) 667-2681