HCS offers emergency rental and utility assistance through various programs. These rental assistance programs provide emergency payments for back rent, first month’s rent, and security deposit but do not provide ongoing housing subsidies. Call the Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP) at 202-667-7339 to find out what assistance programs are currently available and whether you may be eligible for assistance.
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) for to DC residents who are homeless or in immediate danger of becoming homeless.
- HCS offers rental case management and follow-up counseling to all clients who receive rental assistance.
- HCS also offers specialized rental assistance programs for those living with HIV/AIDS. Click Here for more information.
Resources for Locating Housing
Looking for rental housing in DC?
HCS can help you develop a strategy for improving your credit and achieving your housing goals (including homeownership) through workshops and counseling.
- Attend a free Money Matters financial literacy and credit workshop
- Schedule an appointment for a brief session with a counselor at our Understanding Your Credit Clinic. Call 202-667-7606.
Housing Counseling Services works to help renters understand and protect their rights, resolve conflicts with landlords and management companies, avoid displacement, and improve their housing conditions.
- Want to learn more about tenant rights in DC? Attend a free Tenant Rights and Responsibilities Workshop
- Individual housing problem or dispute with your landlord? Call to schedule Tenant Counseling
- Building-wide issues in a multi-unit building? Call to speak with the Tenant Services Program
- Have you received notice that your building’s *Section 8 contract is going to expire* or that your building will be *sold, converted to condos, foreclosed on, renovated, demolished, or vacated* for any reason? Contact the Tenant Services Program at HCS immediately.
- Have you been discriminated against in the rental housing market? File a Fair Housing Complaint against a landlord or management company.
Other Services for Tenants
Renters are encouraged to call HCS with any housing related questions. HCS also is a referral center and can refer renters to other organizations for assistance.